We endeavour to provide students in relevant disciplines the opportunity to gain experience through placements in some of SWOP’s programs and services. We accept a limited number of placements in fields such as:
- Health Promotion
- Community Development
- Alcohol & Other Drugs
SWOP is a peer-based organisation and, as such, you must identify as a sex industry peer in order to complete a work/student placement with us. This means you must be a past or current sex worker.
We consider sex industry experience to include all facets of the industry, including erotic massage and stripping, full service and BDSM work, for example. If you are unsure whether your experience qualifies, please contact us. SWOP will keep any information you provide confidential.
Prior to you undertaking a work placement with SWOP it is important that you understand the conditions under which we work and the need for discretion, confidentiality and total respect for the choices of our communities.
Please read our mission statement and goals to ensure they align with your own.
SWOP’s policy does not allow contact between work/student placements and our client base, so, if for example, you are considering a social work placement, you will be able to work with our counsellor and peer support workers, but will not be able to sit in on sessions or interact with our clients.
To help us consider your application for a placement we would appreciate you taking the time to answer the following questions to help us determine whether SWOP is the appropriate workplace for you. Please be as detailed as you can when providing information.
- What is the name of your institution?
- What is the course level (year) and subject that you are seeking a work placement for?
- Is your placement supervised and if so what is the name and contact details of your supervisor?
- What is the duration and purpose of your work placement?
- What particular skill set will you be looking to develop while with SWOP and what, if any, benefits do you see for our organisation?
- Are you willing to allow SWOP full intellectual property rights to any work which you contribute to/develop in your time at SWOP?
Please contact us if you have any further questions about work and student placements.