Crabs or Pubic Lice
What is it?
Crabs are parasites that live on the skin at the base of human body hair. They lay eggs, which they attach to the pubic hairs.
How do you get it?
- Sexual intercourse.
- Sleeping closely in the same bed.
- Towels and bed linen.
Signs and symptoms
- Crabs—these are brown or white and look like freckles.
- Eggs are white.
- Itching and scratch marks.
- Usually found in the pubic region, but can be found on any body hair including eyebrows and eyelashes, but not the head hair.
- Quellada, or other pubic lice treatment, is available from your chemist.
Follow the directions on the bottle and repeat one week later. At work wash all the clothing and bedding in hot soapy water. Wash any other towels your body has come into contact with.