Skip to Navigation

What if I’m working privately from my own home?


You need to find out from your local council what its planning regulations say about working privately. Some councils will allow one sex worker to work from their own home without a development application. But many councils have regulations that classify all workplaces that provide sexual services as brothels.

If this is the case in your area, the same regulations and laws that apply to sex services premises apply to solo operators. You may be required to put in a development application for your home business.

Working from a strata apartment can be an issue, because the body corporate may require occupants to seek its approval before operating any home-based business.

We have more information on working privately in our section on sex work law.